Nouvelles: Bonjour, le forum est en mode "ARCHIVES".
Les fonctionnalités d'envoi de mp ainsi que d'écriture de messages ont étés retirées. Un nouveau forum verra le jour sous peu sous forum.helldorado.fr

Bienvenue, Invité. Veuillez vous connecter ou vous inscrire.
+  Les Chiens de Guerre
|-+  English Area
| |-+  Hell Dorado - Background
| | |-+  The Retiarii
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer
Auteur Fil de discussion: The Retiarii  (Lu 5236 fois)
Chrysalis
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

In vermiis veritas

« le: Juin 22, 2007, 21:06:00 »

I tried to translate the text about the Rétiaires (1 Retiarius > 2 Retiarii? Whatever, those are the Net-Men of the égarés). I guess it was written by our friend Aidan St James, but I'm not sure Sourire

The retiarius

Those brutes look like men, except for the head, which seems to be covered by a strange helmet. Looking more closely, the helmet blend in the skin, as it often happens among the damned: it looks like their pugnacity, their thirst for blood and their malevolence were suddenly overriding the nature of their flesh, imprinting in their physical aspect all their vices. Instead of a face, they have huge fangs that remind of the claws of certain hideous insects. They wear some armor parts that don't cover their whole body, and they use spears that look like enormous claws. They fight with a weighted net, in which they try to catch their oponent before crushing him with blows or ripping him.

- From "Story of the Journey Underneath", Antonio Guccini, mercenary of Captain Eduardo Spada band.
« Dernière édition: Juin 23, 2007, 19:15:50 par Chrysalis » Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte.
aidan st james
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #1 le: Juin 22, 2007, 22:28:20 »

Nope, not me for this one Clin d'oeil. It's from Sandy Julien, author responsible of the Lost (égarés).
Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée
Brasidas
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #2 le: Juin 22, 2007, 23:06:47 »

And yes, if you were talking about the Roman gladiators, the plural would be retiari or retiarii; I'm assuming this would be the same.   Grimaçant

Show yourself a brave man, as a Spartiate should; and do you, allies, follow him like men, and remember that zeal, honor, and obedience mark the good soldier.

Thucydides 5.9.9
Chrysalis
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

In vermiis veritas

« Répondre #3 le: Juin 23, 2007, 07:35:12 »

And yes, if you were talking about the Roman gladiators, the plural would be retiari or retiarii; I'm assuming this would be the same.   Grimaçant

I was just wondering if it was considered a technical latin word or if it belonged to the usual vocabulary. I mean, the plural for gladiator is gladiatorS, probably because it became some kind of usual word, whereas the latin plural should be gladiatores. I was wondering if it was the same with retiarius (retiariusesRoulement des yeux )

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte.
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer 
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Aller à:  

Connexion avec identifiant, mot de passe et durée de la session

Propulsé par MySQL Propulsé par PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines XHTML 1.0 Transitionnel valide ! CSS valide !
Free SMF Theme by Tamuril. © 2008.