Nouvelles: Bonjour, le forum est en mode "ARCHIVES".
Les fonctionnalités d'envoi de mp ainsi que d'écriture de messages ont étés retirées. Un nouveau forum verra le jour sous peu sous forum.helldorado.fr

Bienvenue, Invité. Veuillez vous connecter ou vous inscrire.
+  Les Chiens de Guerre
|-+  English Area
| |-+  Hell Dorado - Background
| | |-+  30 Coins
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer
Auteur Fil de discussion: 30 Coins  (Lu 4708 fois)
Vorenus
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« le: Février 16, 2009, 15:57:32 »

Hi there.  I have a few figs mostly for painting purposes, but I love wargames fluff and this guy really intregues me.  Is there anything written about him anywhere?
I normally remember enough french to clean up a bablefish translation, so I don't mind if it hasn't yet been translated, just wondering a few things.
It's all the Biblical references that are making me wonder what his background will be.
The name "30 coins" brings to mind 30 pieces of silver, and the "Musket of Longinus":  Isn't that a reference to the spear with which Jesus's suffering was prolonged on the cross?
Is this guy actually Judas Escariot, or the roman soldier longinus, or at least does he have something to do with the crucifiction?
He's just intregued me a lot at the moment, so anyone know anything?
Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée
mathieu
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #1 le: Février 16, 2009, 17:40:13 »

The name "30 coins" brings to mind 30 pieces of silver, and the "Musket of Longinus":  Isn't that a reference to the spear with which Jesus's suffering was prolonged on the cross?
The French name actually is the translation for the "30 pieces of silver" (30 deniers) that Judas received for betraying Jesus. I'm assuming "30 coins" was chosen for its brevity, unfortunately that also makes it lose the direct biblical reference. The musket is certainly a reference to the holy lance of Longinus (although I think it was used to show Jesus was dead rather than to prolong his agony).

However there's little information as for who this guy actually is. His fluff in the book is about his thoughts as he chases and executes the last, 10 year old survivor of a caravan he was hired to kill. There's reference to betrayal in there as he had joined the caravan before eliminating its members, and he does mention that he only does that for money. Also I guess his ending the agony of the 10 y.o. boy (who already got a bullet in the belly) could be another analogy to the holy lance. But unless I miss something there's no clear hint of his being either Judas Iscariot or Longinus.
« Dernière édition: Février 16, 2009, 17:41:55 par mathieu » Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée

[Official] tags indicate unofficial translations of official rulings.
mathieu thérézien, durham, NC
Silveri
Troupier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #2 le: Février 16, 2009, 17:44:16 »

Edited reverso.net translation:

"... The man had the aspect of a blind old man, dressed in a thick mantis of heavy velvet. In his strangely strong arms he held a long musket decorated with occult signs that pulsed weakly with a reddish light.
« I intend for you to suffer, behind that rock. Your numb body scrapes on the chaos of the loose stones, your hands eager for a grip, slick as the rain on the surface of a lake. Poor marionette! The thread of your life shall break from moment to the other one. I hear over the roaring of the wind the terrified beating of your heart which is carried away.
The bullet of my musket struck you full in the stomach. You are still alive, why bother resisting? With a snap of my fingers I could put an end to your agony, since surely you will die whatever happens... "

Hidden in shadow, the "blind old man" is capable of scoring with his Musket Of Longinus, whatever is the size of the target and the distance which separates them. Nevertheless, if the prey is pious, it will have a chance to resist the impact of the ball shot with the occult firearm of the famous Thirty Coins

--

Now, I don't think that he is necessarily Judas although that could certainly be possible, I would suggest that the musket is made from the spear of longinus.

Late at night... I can still hear their screams... the tiny, innocent voices that cry "It was not us! It was not our fault! Why did we have to pay for your misgivings?"
...and I try to quieten them... the voices in my head and convince myself that I was right - and the dice had to be burned
Corto
Pionniers
Troupier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #3 le: Février 17, 2009, 04:51:00 »

I'd say probably Judas.
The authors like to leave a doubt on who the person is, and sometimes they roll up several historical (or well known mythical) figures into one character. But here, I was too late pointing out that the name translation should be "30 pieces of silver".

Sarrasins, égarés, démons, occidentaux, mercenaires, et un voyageur sans age...
Saracen, lost, demons, mercenaries, and one timeless traveler...
Dogmeat
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

thegoblinking999@hotmail.com
Courriel
« Répondre #4 le: Février 18, 2009, 01:13:52 »

Gah!  How the hell did I not notice that ?

More annoyingly, when I mentioned to the missus I`ve totally missed this fact about "Thirty Coins" she said "Do you mean Judas?".  It was about a second later.  Dammit.

"A daemonibus docetur, de daemonibus docet, et ad daemones ducit"
alecfras
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #5 le: Février 27, 2009, 20:24:36 »

When you stop and consider over whether or not he's in fact Judas, who else COULD he possibly be?   Grimaçant  If you take a peek in the rulebook on his pic in the Mercenaries section (assuming you have a copy, that is), he's even holding a little holy cross up to his lips and looks rather melancholy while he does.  I just love the subtlety of his whole character to that respect in the Hell Dorado universe and think it's massively creative the way they did him up as a sniper with the apparent 'musket' of Longinus.

- Alec
Dogmeat
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

thegoblinking999@hotmail.com
Courriel
« Répondre #6 le: Février 27, 2009, 22:22:59 »

I`d hazard a guess that he`s blind because his head is being eaten by Satan ....

"A daemonibus docetur, de daemonibus docet, et ad daemones ducit"
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer 
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Aller à:  

Connexion avec identifiant, mot de passe et durée de la session

Propulsé par MySQL Propulsé par PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines XHTML 1.0 Transitionnel valide ! CSS valide !
Free SMF Theme by Tamuril. © 2008.