Nouvelles: Bonjour, le forum est en mode "ARCHIVES".
Les fonctionnalités d'envoi de mp ainsi que d'écriture de messages ont étés retirées. Un nouveau forum verra le jour sous peu sous forum.helldorado.fr

Bienvenue, Invité. Veuillez vous connecter ou vous inscrire.
+  Les Chiens de Guerre
|-+  English Area
| |-+  Hell Dorado - General Discussion
| | |-+  Still a few to go, eh ?
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer
Auteur Fil de discussion: Still a few to go, eh ?  (Lu 2857 fois)
Dogmeat
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

thegoblinking999@hotmail.com
Courriel
« le: Juillet 04, 2008, 12:47:53 »

According to Wikipedia :

Number of demons

The number of demons, at least according to Christian demonology, is high. It can be deduced from the fact that the Bible mentions fallen angels, and not only one. Much has added to the growth of the number of demons when Christian theology said that all Pagan deities were demons.

In early times of Christianity it was accepted an unknown number of demons, but later, during the Late Middle Ages, some demonologists tried to evaluate this number.

Some scholars did not accept a unique number of demons. Gregory of Nyssa, in the 4th century, supported the idea that demons procreated with other demons and with women, believing in the existence of male and female demons.

Other scholars supported the idea that the number of demons was unique and they could not procreate.

As it had been said by Christian theology that there were 400 million angels, Alfonso de Spina calculated that about one third of them were demons, and in 1467 he asserted that the number of demons was 133,316,666 demons. This idea of one third of the angels turned into demons seems to be due to an exegesis of the Book of Revelation 12:3-9.

Johann Weyer, in his Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (1583) after a complicated system of hierarchies and calculations, estimated the number of demons in 44,435,622, divided in 666 legions, each legion composed by 6,666 demons, and all of them ruled by 66 hellish dukes, princes, kings, etc. He forgot to add the rulers of these rulers to the total, but not to mention them in his book. Besides, the number of legions mentioned by Weyer varies in different editions of his book.

The Lesser Key of Solomon (17th century) copied the division in legions from Pseudomonarchia Daemonum but added more demons, and so more legions; anyhow, its anonymous author did not calculate the number of demons cited in this work. According to the editions of this book, the number also varies.

It is suggestive that both Spina and Weyer used the 666 and other numbers composed by more than one 6 to calculate the number of demons (133,316,666 demons, 666 legions, 6,666 demons in each legion, 66 rulers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_demonology

I`ve killed about 15.  If we keep at it we might be able to get Hell cleared soonish.  If I had to guess, I`d say we`d be home for christmas. 
« Dernière édition: Juillet 04, 2008, 13:17:22 par Dogmeat » Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée

"A daemonibus docetur, de daemonibus docet, et ad daemones ducit"
Achilles
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Kill 'em all.

Courriel
« Répondre #1 le: Juillet 04, 2008, 14:13:29 »

Sorry; I keep trying to steal the Sarassins gold. I'll have to get to work on this. LOL My current Demonic bodycount is still 0.

That will hopefully change next week!
Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée

"C'mon fellas.... we gots to get that oi-.... I mean gold! "

-Overheard just prior to a Westerner raid on a Sarrassin Camp.
Vorenus
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #2 le: Juillet 04, 2008, 16:35:06 »

It is suggestive that both Spina and Weyer used the 666 and other numbers composed by more than one 6 to calculate the number of demons (133,316,666 demons, 666 legions, 6,666 demons in each legion, 66 rulers).

Hmm.  I remember Stephen Fry saying on QI that 666 was a mistranslation of some kind.
I think the story went that the oldest copy of the text from revelations read 616 but was assumed to be a mistake until another old copy turned up with the same 616, so it would seem that someone "corrected" it to 666 when copying out the manuscripts and somehow it stuck.

Of course I never know how much to believe the QI people but they do seem to know everything (or at least be able to look it up Tire la langue)
Dogmeat
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

thegoblinking999@hotmail.com
Courriel
« Répondre #3 le: Juillet 04, 2008, 20:38:14 »

Of course I never know how much to believe the QI people but they do seem to know everything (or at least be able to look it up Tire la langue)

Never question the QI people on these forums again!

*goes off to sacrifice scientists in a bid to appease the knowledge gods*

"A daemonibus docetur, de daemonibus docet, et ad daemones ducit"
BlasterBonatti
Troupier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #4 le: Juillet 09, 2008, 12:18:33 »

I have the utmost faith in Mr Fry, in a perfect world he'd run the country with Jeremy Clarkson.
Pages: [1] Envoyer ce fil Imprimer 
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Aller à:  

Connexion avec identifiant, mot de passe et durée de la session

Propulsé par MySQL Propulsé par PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines XHTML 1.0 Transitionnel valide ! CSS valide !
Free SMF Theme by Tamuril. © 2008.