Nouvelles: Bonjour, le forum est en mode "ARCHIVES".
Les fonctionnalités d'envoi de mp ainsi que d'écriture de messages ont étés retirées. Un nouveau forum verra le jour sous peu sous forum.helldorado.fr

Bienvenue, Invité. Veuillez vous connecter ou vous inscrire.
+  Les Chiens de Guerre
|-+  English Area
| |-+  Hell Dorado - General Discussion
| | |-+  [Official]Questions for Geof : The answers by Cipher-Studios !
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Pages: [1] 2 Envoyer ce fil Imprimer
Auteur Fil de discussion: [Official]Questions for Geof : The answers by Cipher-Studios !  (Lu 10345 fois)
Cipher Kai
FAQ - Hell Dorado
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

« le: Octobre 14, 2009, 19:44:46 »

Cipher Kai - I will Answer by sections

- I know that many of you are eager to know every detail and some of my answers may not be as satisfying as you hope but bear with us and we'll give you more details as we know them  Sourire

[mod] Edited for clarity [/mod]

Bold = header or question
Not bold = Geof's commentary
Red
= Cipher Kai's commentary

Models

Will Cipher publish the figures in plastic or metal?
Most likely metal. They are used to working with this material we are sending them our production molds so they may save time for their re-productions. But I can not guarantee they won't feel like releasing resin models... We thought about it ourselves for large pieces that'd have been too expensive in metal.

-Yes we will cast in lead free pewter.  If a large figure requires resin we will look into that.  We have been fairly successful with large pewter figures, the questions is always when is it going to be an unreasonable cost in metal vs. resin.

Will we ever see the alternate Retiarius, Hashishin, Fencer, and Succubus models?
No idea. Some of these models actually already exist, but it is now Cipher's choice to decide on what they'd like to release. However, I think they will take advantage of these models with existing masters.

-Absolutely.  How they fit into the schedule is yet to be determined. 

I assume the existing factions will continue to be developed. From September 2009 to September 2010, how many new profiles per faction do you expect to see released?
Yes of course the existing factions will keep on being developed, in fact I forwarded Cipher the concepts on which we had been working for the coming year. Now keep in mind that Cipher will start working on the U.S. market first, even if it is clear they won't forget the other existing ones. This implies it will take a little while for them to get all the existing releases out, so at first they will release less new releases than we were able to do.

-We are working from the release schedule from the original development team.  We have commissioned the first figure which will be announced soon.  While we ramp up the re-release of Hell Dorado we will continue to steadily release new figures but it will be at a much reduced volume.  I don't want to promise more then 1 new product per month or so once we begin release.  Our goal is to get all the language products on the same schedule as quickly as possible so maintaining a heavy release schedule would make that extremely difficult.   Grimaçant

Will out of stock models, like Tarik, be produced again?
Yes

-   Once we get the production molds in and work out the packaging we will re-supply the current market with out of stock products.  They may be packaged differently but we feel making them available quickly is very important.

Will Cipher keep the ideas of new models that were once mentioned (e.g. the samurai, the Lost monkey sub-faction, the buddy of Wormhole,…)?
It'll be up to Cipher to decide on the future development of the range, I don't see myself pass HD on to them without allowing them to make creative choices. But obviously I think they are primarily using the concepts on which we were working... If only because a large part of the work had already been done.

- We have plenty of input from the development team on at least 1 years worth of development.  Decisions may be made on when and how new figures will be released but we won’t deviate far from the proposed plan as far as content.  We have a lot of faith in the Hell Dorado team and will continue to listen carefully to their input.

Will the existing models be produced again, and in what format (blister, company box, etc...)?
Yes, they will be produced again, but as for the packaging you'll have to ask Cipher.

-   We are working on redesigning the packaging to make the game easier to stock for stores and customize for players.  We will be making some figures (i.e. Arquebusier models) also available in blisters so customizing your force is easier.  We are considering making the starters more of a playable introduction force rather then a full army so that new players may customize their first army to their desires.

Will the prices change? ($1 = 1€)? (translator's note: for the French/European market)
No idea ... I don't know what the production constraints of Cipher are, not mentioning that they'll have to ship stuff to Europe, which has a significant cost.

-   Since we will change what will come in many of the products, pricing will fluctuate figure by figure.  Pricing will be locked to the Dollar rather than the Euro so international exchange rates may affect pricing in Euros.  Also, the European distributors will be the ultimate decision makers on the cost ratio between the MSRP of the Dollar vs. the Euroe.  The Dollar is not strong right now so that may play in the favor of our European customers.  We have not determined pricing yet as we need to get all the materials and decide the product layout first.

Will promotional models be produced again?
Again, this is something you'll have to ask Cipher. I don't have a problem with the idea, and Cipher will have the production molds and the masters if they ever decide to do so.

- We will do out utmost to make promotional materials available as soon as prudently possible.  Hell Dorado is a very large project so when and how will take a while to determine.  The first major step is getting the entire line up and running again.
« Dernière édition: Octobre 15, 2009, 15:22:00 par Alaster » Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée
Cipher Dave
FAQ - Hell Dorado
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #1 le: Octobre 14, 2009, 21:47:43 »

Helping out by answering the sections I can!

Red
= my commentary

Game / Gaming System:

To what point will the original development team be maintained?
Part of the deal is that Cipher will continue to work with the team of sculptors who made Hell Dorado the game it is. As for the team of writers, things are far more complicated since it is obvious that Cipher will prefer to write texts in-house rather than receive them in French and have to translate them.
As for me, I immediately told them I would be available to give them the ideas I had about the evolution of the range, the world, and the system. But I'll completely understand if Cipher feels like completely owning the baby. It'd be normal and in the end rather reassuring as it will imply a real involvement in the game rather than just the use of an existing license.

- To our understanding we will be taking over the rules development (making stats and rules calls) of the game. We welcome Geof’s ideas as he obviously has a vision for the game that is a good one. Over time we assume that we will write more material (which we will run by Geof) and flesh out the nitty gritty of any ideas Geof wishes to contribute. As Geof says we wish to continue developing the game, not just reproduce what has gone before, so that it can have a long and healthy life. That being said the game must be released in multiple languages so catching up and getting everywhere on the same schedule is a huge priority.

Will the original development team continue to sculpt and write or will they only be consultants?
The sculptors will probably continue to sculpt while I'll probably stick with advising/consulting. Other people revolving around the game and mastering the more technical aspects of the rules might keep working in the background as I am convinced Cipher will want all the skills and goodwill they can use.

- As has been said many times the original sculptors will continue to work on the line. They have contributed greatly to the games look and feel and while we won’t have tons of work for them while we are in the catching up period, we do want them to remain involved. I have already started talking with many of the people that Geof has been conferring with on rulings and so forth and we welcome their input and involvement as well.

Does Cipher plan on publishing 1635 cards and rules?
Most likely, but you'll have to ask them.

- We do plan do update the text with the most current wordings and statistics. Reprinting the oldest book and then releasing errata’s to bring other markets up to speed with the French one doesn’t seem to be a very efficient idea.

Will the game be published in its 1634 version or will they directly switch to 1635?
I think they'll directly publish the 1635 version of the rules, that is what I suggested them to do as I don't see the point of using 1634 rules any longer.

- As Geof says we do plan to publish the 1635 version.

Is it planned to change the game system such that it gets closer to the one of Anima?
Not at all, or rather we never talked about such a thing. I believe that for every game there is one corresponding system. Because the game requires a specific rhythm and atmosphere. Now I can't speak for Cipher, the idea is still for the game to become theirs.

- We don’t plan to change the game system to make it more like Anima. Hell Dorado already has a strong game system with depth and style. Personally the only reason that I can think of to make changes is to address internal issues either balance or background related, and then we should come up with something that is specifically suited to Hell Dorado if possible.

If the rumors of the investor being American are true, does it mean that the game will become more politically correct?

Cipher is indeed a US publisher. Frankly I don't know if they'll soften the game. I think that if they wanted to get it, they probably like its sulfurous atmosphere. Now it might not go as far as where I was starting to go (in particular for the Demons as I was envisioning them with Eurynome).
So yes, probably a game a bit softer, a bit less provocative (probably no more p69 type picture). But at the same type the US are the country of "Cannibal Holocaust", of "The Thing",… I mean, it's time to stop believing they are all mormons. As for me, I am not too worried.

- Hell Dorado is of course a dark and grim setting where all the vagaries of human existence are enumerated in Hell. While we will probably not be printing pictures such as the one on page 69 (that being the one thing we have come across that we may not be ok with), we won’t suddenly change the setting into a land of rainbows and unicorns. In some ways the English version of the book will have a darker feel in design and color pallet. Mostly our point is that some of the graphicness may change. Dark and grim can be done by leaving some things to the imagination, which can make them more terrifying overall.

Will the game system change?
No idea. Quite frankly, it'd need some dusting and rewriting. Now it'll be up to Cipher to decide on the new direction they want to give the game. And I think that, at least at first, it will be easier to rely on what exists.

- As I stated above we do not plan to change the game system in major ways, though we’ll edit and clean up anything that needs it in the interests of balance and clarity.

Is there an expansion planned (with new factions and models)
We already finalized a deal, now they must start producing and establishing the game on their market… That's a lot of work ahead before a possible expansion.

- We want to continue the game on into the future. To do that we will need to print expansions to keep adding on to the world. More factions may be added and campaign material to facilitate leagues and linked games is also a fairly good bet over time. These plans are more long term, as we must focus on launching the game in more languages and catching everywhere up to the same point. I cannot reliably quote a time period for when we might be able to move on this stuff. We are continuing to make new models for the French market, though at a slower rate, so it’s not as if nothing at all will be happening for the game.

Will the immortals be integrated in the future English rulebook?

I don't know, I don't control their editorial choices. However I think it would be a very good idea and that is what I suggested them to do.

- Our current plan is to include the Immortals in the book as we have heard from many players that they have gotten into the game to play them. The material is out there. So much like the 1635 update, it seems best to include it.

Will there be English card packs for each faction? Many players wish to get official, printed english cards for models they already possess

Most likely, this is something we discussed. Now Cipher has to evaluate the opportunity and the feasibility of such a thing.

- We plan to print and offer some way for players to acquire different language cards separate from the models. We already do some of this for Anima Tactics so it should be something that we can execute. We have not finalized these plans but we recognize it as an issue.

« Dernière édition: Octobre 15, 2009, 01:01:30 par Cipher Dave » Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée
Cipher Dave
FAQ - Hell Dorado
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #2 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 01:03:49 »

Red = my commentary

Background:

Will the background of the game continue to be developed?
I hope so. I still had quite a few ideas. We talk about them a lot with Thomas and Pierre (the authors of the two novels...). But again the decision will be Cipher's.

- We intend the game to continue on its path, as I think I have stated a few times now we highly value Geof’s and the original teams input and ideas on this.

Will the sub-factions be maintained? Are new factions planned in the near future?

Like I said, Cipher will probably want to start the game in the US with what already exists (with a few new releases) before doing actual development. But Cipher is very interested in what we had planned for the future, so without assuming too much I think I can say that yes, the development of the range will at first roughly follow what we had originally planned.
However I wasn't planning on releasing a new faction in the near future. Perhaps CIpher will want to, once again you'll have to ask them.

- I agree with Geof here as well. We will follow roughly what has already been released. Development of brand new factions will probably not come in the near future, though it is a strong possibility in the long run.

Is the project of a campaign system (like Mordheim!) still part of the future developments of the game?

I think the Chronicles of Zaebas have been a strength in the development of the game, and we were planning on creating a system of evolution of the companies and of the models, with an Avatar,… I can obviously only suggest Cipher to continue along this path and transmit them what I had already written on the matter.

- This is a strong possibility. I am still digesting the entirety of the work done on the game so far. This kind of material is a strong contender for future expansions as characters who gain experience and abilities through linked games is one of my favorite mechanics.

Cipher Studios mentioned they might remove some 'provocative' artwork / texts. Will the french versions stay unaffected?

It turns out that the French version will now be a translation from English, so it is likely that it will be identical to the English version.

- As Geof says, once everything is caught up, all versions in all languages will be effectively the same.
Signaler au modérateur   Journalisée
maelgrim
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #3 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 06:14:53 »

Well i'm excited, great stuff.
I can't wait to get my Immortals all painted up.
Rich_B
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #4 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 10:22:41 »

Welcome to the party, Cipher! Grimaçant It sounds like the game will be in the hands of good stewards!

It is good to see some solid news for Hell Dorado at last, its been a funny six months for it. Everyone I know who had invested in it has been waiting with baited breath to see what will happen. The good thing was that no-one was inclined to sell their models so there will be a player base immediately available around here to kickstart the rebirth when it comes! Before it went into stasis we had a lot of interest from players at the club, and that was with French cards and inkjet-printed rules - with English professionally printed material available we should be onto a winner for you Cool

Hammer'N'Ales Wargames Club, Hucknall, Nottingham. Tuesdays and Sundays for all sorts of fantasy, sci-fi and historical gaming. See here for details.
Bork
Indépendant
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #5 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 11:11:23 »

all sounds very positive, can't wait for things to take off again. thanks to you an geoff for taking the time to answer the Q's especially for answering them as clearly and honestly as possible.
occa
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #6 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 12:29:16 »

I think that there is a lot of people here in Australia who were put off by the rules being in French. Now there will be English rules I think people will start getting into this game. I for one can't wait I think that this game is brilliant!
Angora
Pionniers
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #7 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 14:03:40 »

Thanks for the information guys. Looking forward to getting back into the game!
mathieu
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #8 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 14:06:30 »

I'm glad you guys really seem to be on top of things. Good luck!

[Official] tags indicate unofficial translations of official rulings.
mathieu thérézien, durham, NC
WEiRD sKeTCH
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

The Devil Inside

Courriel
« Répondre #9 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 15:03:21 »

This is awesome.

Thanks Kai!
Silveri
Troupier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #10 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 15:07:33 »

Woah. A response a lot quicker than I assumed. Kudos!

Now, either you ducked the whole issue on the Pioneer program (or haven't yet answered it), but that's one issue that I'd like to hear your opinions on.

On all other accounts I now rest assured that HD is in good hands and am finally starting to believe all those vague promises that the dev team made during these 6 months that everything will be allright and all the waiting will be worth it. With the plans you propose this certainly seems to be the case. Perhaps I finally get my painting back on track and get inspired enough to start organizing HD events again (if I can find the time - being a father of 2 young daughters and having a full time job that regularly goes on overtime certainly takes its toll).

As I very modestly consider to be somewhat of a figurehead of the finnish HD scene, I'd like to know when you plan on getting the previous releases restocked and what should I tell the local distributor about whom to contact for getting restocks and when. Ubik (Millennium)? This would help recruiting new players if I could provide at least some vague information about when they would be able to get reinforcements to their armies.

Hopefully your forges are already churning out HD minis by the dozen! Sourire

Late at night... I can still hear their screams... the tiny, innocent voices that cry "It was not us! It was not our fault! Why did we have to pay for your misgivings?"
...and I try to quieten them... the voices in my head and convince myself that I was right - and the dice had to be burned
Cipher Kai
FAQ - Hell Dorado
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

« Répondre #11 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 18:17:07 »

Here's the last answers to the list of questions.

Distribution:

Is there an estimated release date for the first reinforcements? (I feel for our most unhappy immortals who feel quite lonely). Will we have new models this year (2009) or will we have to wait until 2010?
I think Cipher would want to have their first news out at the end of 2009. And I think the first new release will be a Westerner (they have the concept of the Dopplesöldner Officer).

We don't have a precise date for the launch of the first new release.  It will be early 2010.  We have to get all our ducks in a row.  A figure development cycle is fairly long and involved so we don't want to end up rushing the whole process.  It's important that we have consistent releases once we get going and rushing development tends to lead to disaster.  We have several concept sketches and will start rolling out information on those very soon.

Will this board continue to be THE official Helldorado forum, or will Cipher open their own?
I am ready to give them the keys. The question is whether they'll prefer to create their own forum, you'll have to ask them.

If we can port over the board fairly easy we can maintain the current board.  We would of course be adding more English and other non-French forums.  We will also be revamping our site and working on the Hell Dorado site, whether we'll be porting and re-working the current site or an entirely new one is not certain yet.  Those will be available by the re-launch. 
Cipher Dave
FAQ - Hell Dorado
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

Courriel
« Répondre #12 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 20:10:31 »

Unfortunately we are not very familiar with the full scope of the Pioneer program at this point. We do have our own volunteer program to facilitate events and demos called the Free Agents program. At this point our plan is to assimilate any Pioneer who is interested into our Free Agents program. Here at Cipher Studios Joel Lehner runs the Free Agents program, please feel free to contact him at Joel@ cipher-studios.com with any questions you may have on the matter.
Dogmeat
Officier
Hors ligne Hors ligne

thegoblinking999@hotmail.com
Courriel
« Répondre #13 le: Octobre 15, 2009, 20:30:50 »

Did the Pioneer thing ever actually get started ?

Personally, I don`t mind what its called.  I just know that certain people do put a lot of effort into spreading games in certain areas and its just a nice little thank you from the company.

"A daemonibus docetur, de daemonibus docet, et ad daemones ducit"
Falk
Lémure
Hors ligne Hors ligne

WWW Courriel
« Répondre #14 le: Octobre 17, 2009, 13:44:59 »

Good news indeed!

Thanks for salvaging Helldorado and keep up the good work!

One more question: Will the different language versions be released at the same time or will you first get out the English book and then start making translations? I'm asking because the German market tends to stick to the English rules once they are around. In games like Warmachine no sane person uses the German ability names for example which makes it kinda hard for new players to get into the game if they "mistakenly" bought the German rule book.

Pages: [1] 2 Envoyer ce fil Imprimer 
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Aller à:  

Connexion avec identifiant, mot de passe et durée de la session

Propulsé par MySQL Propulsé par PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines XHTML 1.0 Transitionnel valide ! CSS valide !
Free SMF Theme by Tamuril. © 2008.